Saturday, June 15, 2013

And So it Begins...

I'm here!!! Where is here anyway? At Windmark Beach in Port Saint Joe Florida (between Panama City and Apachicola Bay). I drove with 3 other women which was great. Good conversation makes a trip go quickly! Thanks to Garan for doing ALL the driving! Amazingly, we got everything in the car for 4 women and lots of Blue Skies supplies.

Once we arrived you could just see and feel the excitement. Those who have served before were glad to see familiar faces. There are volunteer kids everywhere, on their bikes, running around. They are going to be an important part of this week. Do you really think the kids who are here want to hang out with me? Not likely. But those kids are going to connect in a big way with each other.

After unpacking, we made a quick trip to the Piggly Wiggly for essentials. Once we returned, the meetings began.

 
 
We started with a long game of introductions. I had the pleasure of interviewing and being interviewed by Claire and Libby. Favorite question was tell us something about yourself that people wouldn't know. That launched into a long discussion of my very large Mr. Potato Head collection. Ask me about it sometime.
 
 



Claire and Libby are rising 8th graders. Cute girls! Enjoyed meeting them. There are so many people here. I hope I can remember a few of their names. These will help!

 
 
Next was dinner and then really down to business. I learned about my H20 Group which is the Bluebirds. For 3 mornings while the parents are at Kindred Journeys, I will be co-leading the group caring for the 5 and unders. We have around 8 kids, one is a 9 week old baby. I think we will have to draw straws to see who gets to hold the baby! Next, I learned about the family I will be hosting. It is a single mom with a six year old boy who has a brain tumor. He has a 2 year old brother (who will be one of my Blue Birds!). Now I know WHO to be praying for after all this time. CANNOT WAIT TO MEET THEM!!!

A quick walk down to the beach and it's time to think about getting to bed so I am rested for tomorrow. Until then, Blue Skies!





No comments:

Post a Comment