Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Where Skies Are Blue

Christian Service...that's what we were studying in our adult Sunday School class sometime in the past several months. I believe we are all given gifts and talents and that God calls us to use them to serve in a way that is glorifying to Him...he equips us when he calls us. The founder of Blue Skies Ministries agreed to come and speak with us about her equipping for this ministry she has been called to. While listening to her tell her story, I couldn't help but notice that we had both shared similar experiences throughout our careers.

 I spent my early years in nursing working with seriously and terminally ill children. The stress on these families and these marriages led to divorce more times than not. Any health care professional knows this, but Melinda Mayton answered the call she felt on her heart to offer these families an opportunity to reconnect and to begin to grow stronger once again.

Several weeks a year, she and many volunteers offer week long retreats to bring the hope of Christ to families with children who are suffering from pediatric cancer. The hope is that children who are sick will laugh and play; siblings, who often compete with cancer, will feel cherished and valued; and marriages and familes will grow strong.

As she spoke, I wanted to jump out of my chair and yell, "sign me up!" I completed my volunteer application and will be serving at my first retreat the week of June 16th! I could not be more excited! I recently attended my orientation and have only begun to get a picture of what it is I'll be doing that week. The best way I know how to describe it on my limited understanding is I will be assigned a family to serve for the week. I will be their host. It is my pleasure to do everything I can to give them treatment worthy of a 5 star resort...only better. I will clean for them, do their laundry, help provide their meals, care for their children, laugh with them and probably even cry with them. At night I will turn down their beds and maybe even leave a fun little folded towel animal with their nightly message.

One of our volunteer responsibilities is fund raising. Each volunteer has a financial commitment to cover their own stay. I am blessed to be able to provide that for myself. My hope and prayer is that I can raise enough money to sponsor a guest family, the cost of which is $2500. I will be sending out my "support letters" in the very near future and will trust in God's provision.

My purpose in starting this blog is to spread the word about Blue Skies Ministries. I will share my journey with you as I come to better understand and learn about this ministry that I feel I have been called to be a part of. I have already begun to pray for the family I don't even know yet. Please pray for them with me...that they will be strengthened as a couple and a family during their week at Blue Skies. http://www.blueskiesministries.org/



No comments:

Post a Comment