Sunday, April 12, 2015

Changes

My intentions of updating this blog each day of retreat were thwarted by a lack of internet. So I attempt here to give you the "Reader's Digest" version which is nearly an impossible task.

I decided before I even left for my fourth Blue Skies retreat that my theme for the week was "Changes." The past year for me has been filled with so many changes...I'm pretty sure on the life stress scale I have lots of points. But all my changes have been positive and they have all been sought. I retired after 34 years as a pediatric nurse last May. After exploring retirement options with my husband, we decided in June to move to Florida after 26 years in Marietta, going from newlyweds to empty nesters there. We bought a house and spent several months preparing for our move in February. I have sorted, purged and sold 26 years of belongings. We sold our home in Marietta and left with tears in our eyes on February 10th. We have been in our new home for two months now and are settling into "retirement." Lots of changes, all good.



The families we serve at Blue Skies have faced life changes as well, but they neither asked for them nor welcomed them. Their lives were turned into turmoil with the news of a devastating diagnosis that put them into the world of being "cancer families", "cancer parents", etc. It's a world none of us can possibly imagine and a world they live in 24/7. It's a world that changes their entire family dynamics for a very long time. Just as an example, a diagnosis of leukemia guarantees a minimum of 3 years of treatment...maybe more. I pray that their week at Blue Skies gave them a small break from the changes and turmoil they were thrown into.





There were changes at Blue Skies as well...memory boxes for the families, cute little touches in their rooms, changes in some roles, a new check in room, new themes, and new meals. But thankfully the one constant is the love we get to share with our guest families and the opportunity to show them the love of Jesus through our service.



The week was fun, exhausting and inspiring and as always, I return home feeling incredibly blessed to be able to serve. I served as a family host this week (definitely my favorite role!) and worked once again with the Blue Birds (children under 4 years old) during the mornings. Salli,(my Blue Skies bff) and I volunteered to host the coffee cart each morning and even got to bring the milk and cookies cart around one night. Along with getting to know the sweet family I served, I loved getting to know my "condo-mates" for the week. I come home with many new friends. And what could be better than that?






Changes...my prayer is that lives were changed this past week. I know mine was.


No comments:

Post a Comment